Hi!

Ideas about how a world with more than three spatial dimensions would work - what laws of physics would be needed, how things would be built, how people would do things and so on.

Hi!

Postby isopro » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:50 pm

Hello there,

I've recently been bitten by the 4D bug after a discussion down a local bar, as the night went on (and the beer went down) we somehow got onto the subject of other dimensions (as you do). I was under the impression that the 4th dimension is time, but now I understand that it is 'A' 4th dimension, not 'THE' 4th dimension.

I have now set myself a quest to try to better understand 4th dimensional space, but not being too savvy at maths or physics, its going to be a long journey................. :)
isopro
Mononian

Postby alkaline » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:59 am

I'm always glad to see new people interested in the fourth dimension! You certainly happened across it in an interesting place - i've never heard of someone learning about it in the local bar :-) Is that the way most people learn in new things in England? :-P If you have any questions about any of the stuff you read on my site go ahead and post them here, and i or someone else will answer them.
alkaline
Founder

Postby Keiji » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:56 pm

I live in England too...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby isopro » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:10 pm

Is that the way most people learn in new things in England?
Nar, its just the only time we talk to each other :D

If you have any questions about any of the stuff you read on my site go ahead and post them here, and i or someone else will answer them.

Its good to know people are willing to help, thanks. Although I have a feeling that after my 1000th question, you will regret saying that :P

oh, and hi bobxp!
isopro
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:13 pm

Hi. :D

I can answer questions too...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby isopro » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:22 pm

After reading your posts I have to lie down, my head is spinning!! :)

I cannot visualise a 4D object in 3D or 2D yet, I'm so stuck in 3D! But i'm working on it and the way my mind works I have to fully understand something before I can visualise it.

I appreciate the offer of help from you or anyone, thanks dude!
isopro
Mononian

Postby Keiji » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:48 pm

Do what I do: Ignore the y (height) dimension. Y is the least useful dimension because of gravity. If you ignore it, and ignore gravity as well, you could imagine being able to move up and down, and things being suspended in mid-air. This is what the ground plan of a 4d world would look like.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby alkaline » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:42 pm

In order to get a fuller picture of objects in tetraspace, at times you also need to ignore other dimensions also. For example, to imagine what a person with four legs would look like, one thing you need to look at is its intersection with the forward/back dimension removed/ignored - then you can see the pattern around its body where its legs are located.

I realized that the method of discarding a dimension is the basis for my three sets of 4d direction names instead of just having one set - the set that you ignore is the one that is converted to the analogous 4d terms. For example, if you ignore the Y dimension in tetraspace (their up/down dimension), then the 4d terms we would use are upsilon/delta. If you ignore the front/back in order to view the "sides" of a 4d person, then the 4d terms you would use are phi/beta.
alkaline
Founder

Postby mahtlaxgoalie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:16 am

i can relate to isopro. while i have i fair grasp of math and physics (i got a 5 on my ap calc test and im enrolled in ap physics right now), its still difficult to understand four dimensions. as far as i understand, four dimensions would be like being in space, kinda. am i correct in this understanding? and how would gravity apply in a 4 dimension world? does anyone have an easy way to visualize 4 dimensions?
mahtlaxgoalie
Nullonian

Postby sup2069 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:40 am

Maht, Alkaline helped me understand in how to visualize 4th dimensional stuff.

Alkaline wrote:Tetraspace does have gravity. Gravity would act exactly as it does in realmspace, pulling downwards only. If gravity was pulling in two directions at once, the gravity vectors would add together to a single direction, and thus you would end up with only one direction anyway.

bobxp was saying that to vizualize 4d objects/surfaces/etc, the dimension of the object that has gravity (the y dimension) is the least useful dimension to worry about. When you ignore the y dimension of the 4d object, you are left with three dimensions. As 3d beings, we can visualize such 3d objects. When you vizualize this 4d object intersected with realmspace, you have ignore 3d gravity because the gravity of the original object isn't acting on any direction from the intersected object that we can point to. You have to imagine realmspace as a surface for objects of the fourth dimension to rest on. Thus, you can imagine roads coming out of your floor and going towards the ceiling, intersecting with roads that travel in midair from each wall to the opposite wall. For a tetronian, roads arranged in this manner could be laid flat on their ground.
sup2069
Dionian

Postby Aale de Winkel » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:48 am

sup2069 wrote:Maht, Alkaline helped me understand in how to visualize 4th dimensional stuff.

There is a good picture of a tesseract (4d-cube) residing at:
http://members.shaw.ca/hypercubes/tesseracts.htm
solutions to the magic tesseract of order 3, are also uloaded onto my sites database.
with these kind of picture in mind it's easy.
Easier still is imaging a time expansion of an object, and then turn time into a space dimension (multiplying by the speed of light)

For the real work, I resort to the mathematical language, and extrapolate existing 3d formula to the fourth dimension (see uploaded postings). This also helped me to point out several misconceptions there are around in tetraspace.
Aale de Winkel
Trionian

Return to Higher Spatial Dimensions