Tetracube projection

Discussion of tapertopes, uniform polytopes, and other shapes with flat hypercells.

Tetracube projection

Postby quickfur » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:34 am

OK, so I extended my little program to handle non-triangular ridges as well, and so here's a little animation of a projection of the tetracube into 3D:

This is, of course, an unconventional viewpoint, but this is more typical of what a 4D being would see. (The traditional cube-within-a-cube view is, of course, the analog of staring into a cube face on and seeing a square. Not exactly how most people imagine a cube.) Of course, only 4 of the 8 facets are actually visible, because the other 4 are obscured. This makes the individual facets a lot more easily discerned.

Now, if I can only twist my head around generating the face lattice of the 120-cell, ... :)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby bo198214 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:51 am

I am a bit irritated by the lighting.
Sometimes faces are quite more intense at the front.
It irritates me. I mean we intended the transparency to see which face is behind which face.
And the current rendering does a lot more, too much for me ;)
bo198214
Tetronian

Postby quickfur » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:41 pm

bo198214 wrote:I am a bit irritated by the lighting.
Sometimes faces are quite more intense at the front.
It irritates me. I mean we intended the transparency to see which face is behind which face.
And the current rendering does a lot more, too much for me ;)

Yeah, the lighting is annoying because it's the camera that's rotating around the object, rather than the object rotating in place. It should be a lot less annoying if the light sources are fixed relative to the camera. :) But this is just a test... I'm still working on testing a camera rotation scheme that will allow me to do animations of movement in 4D.
quickfur
Pentonian

Return to Other Polytopes