Step Prisms

Discussion of tapertopes, uniform polytopes, and other shapes with flat hypercells.

Step Prisms

Postby Mercurial, the Spectre » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Jonathan Bowers stated earlier the existence of step tegums, which have identical cells that have mirror-symmetric faces. However, we don't have much information of their duals, the step prisms, as Stella4D is not a free program.
Based on what I have researched over the past month, I have explored the world of these oddballs - a world no one has gone before.

Step prisms, as Bowers described, are formed from a square lattice. Starting from the first vertex, one goes a row down and moves a number of steps, marking each subsequent vertex, which is repeated until it reaches the first vertex again (the square lattice is a topological duocylinder, since it wraps over like a loop). Then if one folds the lattice into a duocylinder and selects the marked vertices, forming its convex hull, one gets a step prism.

These are all isogonal and are denoted by p-q, where p is the number of vertices (must be 5 or greater) selected and q is a step counter (determines how many steps should be moved in the lattice). q must be greater than 1 (or else the result is a flat polygon) and less than p/2 (if p is even and q = p/2-1, p-q is then a p/2-gonal duoprism).

Additionally, a p-q step prism will have double symmetry (its vertex figure has double the symmetry) if q^2 happens to be either congruent to 1 or p-1 (mod p). Thus, a 13-5 step prism (5^2 mod 13 = 12) has double symmetry, but a 13-2 step prism won't (since 2^2 mod 13 = 4).

Generalizing this, let's add another step: m. If q*m mod p is congruent to 1 or p-1 for some value of q or m and is within the constraints, then p-q is the same as p-m. For example, a 7-2 step prism is the same as the 7-3 step prism (since 2*3 mod 7 = 6), same goes for the 16-3 and 16-5 (3*5 mod 16 = 15).

In addition, p-q has central symmetry if and only if p is even and q is odd. Therefore, the 14-3 is even, but the 12-3 is not.

The total symmetry of these step prisms (based on the duoprism construction) is 2p, if it has double symmetry, then it is 4p.

The coordinates of a p-q step prism are:
(cos(2n*pi/p),sin(2n*pi/p),cos(2i*pi/p),sin(2i*pi/p)) where n is incrementally added by a multiple of q, and i ranges from 1 to p. I'm still not sure whether these set of coordinates would actually produce a step prism, so someone, please check the results.

Thank you,
Mercurial.
Hadean society is is a social democracy in which people, irrespective of their background, are entitled equal rights in which they all cooperate according to each others' needs.

Ilazhra! (Truth to everyone!)
Mercurial, the Spectre
Dionian

Re: Step Prisms

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 pm

These are a specific example of the semiated figures.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.
wendy
Pentonian

Return to Other Polytopes