Volume of n-cube truncates

Discussion of tapertopes, uniform polytopes, and other shapes with flat hypercells.

Volume of n-cube truncates

Postby quickfur » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:24 am

Given a CD diagram of an n-cube truncate (_4_3_3_..._3_, with some combination of ringed nodes) and either an edge length or the size of the bounding box, how do you go about computing the volume of the polytope? I can sorta invent ad hoc solutions to specific cases, but how do you compute the volume from a CD diagram in general? Or how do you compute the volume given the coordinates of the polytope (which are trivially derived from the CD diagram)?
quickfur
Pentonian

Re: Volume of n-cube truncates

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:49 am

I've had several bashes at this. It's quite messy.

In essence, you have to evaluate each flag separately, where that section gives an orthoscheme. The process amounts to something like this.

a_1 = p_0 - p_1, a_2 = p_1-p_2 etc right down to p_n. Then you multiply up all of the a_n, to get v_1. You proceed through each of the flags and add the volumes together. Then you multiply by G/n! . 2^n, to get the final volume. The stott-matrix can be used for the dot-matrix product, ie A dot B = S_ij A_i B_j. It's a sheer system, so addition and subtraction works as normal.

The next trick is to evaluate the flags. You do this from the dynkin symbol, supposing that 0 is the vertex, and the remainder of the nodes are 1-n. A path is any connected set, including connections to the vertex-node.

The flags of x3o5x are (1x)3(2o)5(3x), it has four in number. I have not figured out yet (ie it is not bleedingly obvious), on how one might do this from the dynkin symbol, but it will come.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Return to Other Polytopes