The Tiger Explained

Discussion of shapes with curves and holes in various dimensions.

Re: The Tiger Explained

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:25 pm

wendy wrote:In some way you are playing 'voyager' for us. The holes in the "tiger" (torus swirl-prism), are profoundly different to anything we know of in 3d.

But the pictures are very good, and very enlightening. The first one we have discussed for some time, but the second one shows the tiger creating two lunes, which become holes in the middle section.

Very good!!!!

'Voyager' has now had a fly by of the ditorus and took two snap shots from two viewing angles!

http://pages.suddenlink.net/hedrondude/ditorus2.png - full pic of second view.

I rendered these and the tiger pics using POV-Ray's isosurface feature - quite useful!
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby ICN5D » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 am

Cool, I like it. How about the toraspherinder and the toracubinder? I believe the toracubinder would be two disjoint spheres, but I've seen somewhere that both are toratopic duals. I think this means both cross sections are identical, but I'm not sure. I see the toraspherinder as having two concentric spheres at the midpoint, but it's not clear what the other slice would be. It very well may be two disjoint spheres, as in the toracubinder. And, likewise for the concentric sphere cross section, both have it. I'm just not sure how two concentric spheres can be sliced where they become side by side, rather than one inside the other. Perhaps it has to do with them being separated along the W axis, and by slicing the XYZ plane, while moving along W, will show two spheres spaced apart.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:02 am

I plan on doing these - although I would encourage the following names for them: torisphere for toraspherinder and spheritorus for toricubinder. A good naming scheme could go like this: Let shape A be the large shape and shape B be the smaller section, we could call it a B-tori-A. If B is a circle then no prefix is needed, if A is a circle, then end in -us - aka B-torus - so we can have names like spheritoriglome, glomitorisphere, toriglome, spheritorisphere, and glomitorus - seems more intuitive.
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Secret » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:06 pm

The new naming scheme seems more descriptive as it describe the way the shape is constructed

As for the Voyager flyby of the ditorus and tiger, by mentally piecing together the cross sections, the minor hole of the ditorus matches what I have illustrated earlier (something like a round stool except the surchoron (I often refer this as the rind, like the rind of an orange) has a cross section of a torus which is smallest at the centre but largest near the top and bottom. I still yet to piece the tiger's hole together though, it is indeed a non intuitive shape, and I still have no idea what a swirltope is

I think once I get to my 500GB internet access again, I might try to learn how to use POV ray and then make hidden surface culled projections of these guys to show them in all its glory
Secret
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Polyhedron Dude wrote:I plan on doing these - although I would encourage the following names for them: torisphere for toraspherinder and spheritorus for toricubinder. A good naming scheme could go like this: Let shape A be the large shape and shape B be the smaller section, we could call it a B-tori-A. If B is a circle then no prefix is needed, if A is a circle, then end in -us - aka B-torus - so we can have names like spheritoriglome, glomitorisphere, toriglome, spheritorisphere, and glomitorus - seems more intuitive.

I like this naming scheme! So the spheritorus is the "inner tube", because the smaller section is spherical. While the torisphere is the one which has a 3D cross section of two concentric spheres.

Presumably then for 5D:

((II)III) glomitorus
((III)II) spheritorisphere
((IIII)I) toriglome

What about compounds like ((II)(II)I) or (((III)I)I) ?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Keiji » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm

ICN5D wrote:Cool, I like it. How about the toraspherinder and the toracubinder? I believe the toracubinder would be two disjoint spheres, but I've seen somewhere that both are toratopic duals. I think this means both cross sections are identical, but I'm not sure. I see the toraspherinder as having two concentric spheres at the midpoint, but it's not clear what the other slice would be. It very well may be two disjoint spheres, as in the toracubinder. And, likewise for the concentric sphere cross section, both have it. I'm just not sure how two concentric spheres can be sliced where they become side by side, rather than one inside the other. Perhaps it has to do with them being separated along the W axis, and by slicing the XYZ plane, while moving along W, will show two spheres spaced apart.

I posted the cross sections for these two previously:

I wrote:The toracubinder is still your standard "inner tube" torus. One of its cross sections is a 3D torus; if you rotate it into 4D, then it morphs into two disjoint spheres. I previously said that the toraspherinder had a two-disjoint-sphere cross-section, but actually this is the one that you can fit a plane through.

The toraspherinder also has a 3D torus as a cross section. However if you rotate this one, it morphs into two concentric spheres. You can only fit a pole through this one.

So in essence, if you are traversing the hole in the torus, then the toraspherinder is the more direct analogue to the 3D torus. However, if you are looking at it from the outside, then the toracubinder is the more direct analogue. It all depends on perspective!
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 pm

The only thing that could possibly be swapped are the names toracubinder and toraspherinder, but they were chosen to match the notation of the cubinder and spherinder. And after nearly a decade of using the names in this way, switching them now would only cause endless confusion.

I like this naming scheme! So the spheritorus is the "inner tube", because the smaller section is spherical. While the torisphere is the one which has a 3D cross section of two concentric spheres.

Sweet, less confusion, now! Even though I got used to them! I'm willing to accept the new names as well.

((II)(II)I) - duocylindritorus ?

(((III)I)I) - spheriditorus, or spheric ditorus ?
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:24 am

I really have not been too agressive with names here, because there are too many things happening in the higher dimensions. Torus-like things get pretty wild once you hit six or seven dimensions. Also one is not restricted in products of any nature to round things. A pentagon-dodecagon torus (pentagon-tube set as a dodecagon), is a different creature to a dodecagon-pentagon torus (dodecagon tube made to a pentagon). The di-torus is made of three different elements of this nature, while the tigure is of the form AAB (the A's of equal nature),

The comb product is a repetition of surfaces, these produce a net which can be folded up in an assortment of ways, including topologically distinct ones. Moreover, one can fold the same net to produce different figures with the same general topology. For example, the 'tiger' and the 'di-torus' are topologically the same, except the piccies would belie the fact.

At the moment, we have a number of operators for laying out the various polytopes in a comb product.

Hose: One connects the surface so that the section of the hose is in the interior of the solid. In 3d, one connects one end of a hose to the other.

Sock: One rolls the surface so that the interior of the section is outside the solid. One takes off a sock by rolling it down, so that the leg remains outside the tube formed by the sock!

In a comb product, of say (ABC...), adding a new element to one end, is to make a prism of surfaces and connect it as a sock. Adding it to the other end, makes a hose-connection.

So, for example, if one has ABCD, and starts with B, then C and D are socks, and A is a hose. But if you start at C, then A, B are hoses and D is a sock. The order is completely free.

The tiger presents a new kind of frame to lay polytopes on, but it is not completely understood. You can take C, a surface cartesian product, and then after you lay out all of the C's use S (spherate, ie flesh out the body in that space), to make the figure solid. These are not incompatible with either S or H. In fact, one might regard the fleshing out as a variety of S (wrapping so that the surface is outside).

But for double-products, you can easily start off with 'spherated circle', etc. although that does not give dimensionality.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:41 pm

I posted the cross sections for these two previously

Oh that's right, you did! But, it doesn't explain this " toratopic dual " nature of the toracubinder and toraspherinder.

* Am I right about rotating the concentric sphere angle, to get the disjoint spheres?

* Do both of these have the same cross sections: concentric and disjoint spheres?

I see both also having a torus cross section: The toraspherinder (torisphere) has torii of variable major radius, from any angle. Similar to the circle-slices of a sphere. The toracubinder ( spheritorus ) has a torus slice on the very top and bottom of the inner tube, parallel to the plane of the major radius. Resting a spheritorus flat on our 3-plane will make a torus contact patch.

I suppose one could also call the torisphere a circle-glomohedric-prism, and the spheritorus a sphere-glomolatric-prism. In an attempt to maintain some reverse derivable features out of the name itself. In the format BASE-MANIFOLD-prism, just about all of them could be described this way.

((II)I) - circle glomolatric prism, circle embedded into 1-manifold surface of circle
((II)II) - sphere glomolatric prism, sphere embedded into 1-manifold surface of circle

((II)I)I) - circle glomolatrix-glomolatric prism, but could be cleaned up to diglomolatric, duoglomolatric, or torahedric, since a ditorus is practically a circle embedded into the 2-plane surface of a torus. Wendy probably has a cool name for "toric" similar to "glomo" for round. Definitely not bi-glomolatric, that's the tiger.

((III)I) - circle glomohedric prism, circle embedded into 2-manif surf of a sphere
((II)(II)) - circle bi-glomolatric prism, circle embedded into 2-manif surf of cartesian product of two glomolatrices
((IIII)I) - circle glomochoric prism, circle embedded into 3-manif surf of glome
((III)II) - sphere glomohedric prism, sphere embedded into 2-manif surf of sphere
((III)I)I) - sphere diglomolatric prism, sphere embedded into 2-manif surf of torus
((II)I)I)I) - circle triglomolatric prism, tritorus, circle embedded into 3-manif surf of ditorus
((II)II)I) - sphere glomohedric-glomolatric prism, sphere embedded into 3-manif surf of sphere torus
((II)I)II) - circle glomolatric-glomohedric prism, torus embedded into 2-manif surf of sphere
((II)III) - glome glomolatric prism, glome embedded into 1-manif surf of circle

-Philip
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am

Keiji wrote:Presumably then for 5D:

((II)III) glomitorus
((III)II) spheritorisphere
((IIII)I) toriglome

(((III)I)I) could be called the toritorisphere or ditorisphere
((II)(II)I) is a bit more tricky, duocylindritorus? - Any clue how it looks?, this could be used to name it.
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Keiji » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 am

ICN5D wrote:
I posted the cross sections for these two previously

Oh that's right, you did! But, it doesn't explain this " toratopic dual " nature of the toracubinder and toraspherinder.

* Am I right about rotating the concentric sphere angle, to get the disjoint spheres?

* Do both of these have the same cross sections: concentric and disjoint spheres?

No - perhaps what I said and then reposted wasn't clear enough?

The toracubinder (now spheritorus) has two possible cross-sections. One is a 3D torus. The other is two disjoint spheres. There is no cross-section of the spheritorus which is two concentric spheres.

The toraspherinder (now torisphere) has two possible cross-sections. One is a 3D torus. The other is two concentric spheres. There is no cross-section of the spheritorus which is two disjoint spheres.

Toratopic dual means that if you take a figure and "unroll" it, then "roll" it up in the other nature, you get the toratopic dual of the original figure. What I mean by "other nature" is hose vs sock. If you roll up a 3D torus in the hose nature you get a spheritorus. If you roll up a 3D torus in the sock nature you get a torisphere. So if you unroll a spheritorus then roll it up in the other nature you get a torisphere and vice versa. Hence they are toratopic duals.

The 3D torus is toratopic self-dual, because you can roll up a cylinder either way and get the same figure - it simply changes which side is outside and which is inside.

Here is an animation of the 3D torus being turned inside out i.e. turned into its toratopic dual. You can see that although the figure is the same, the pattern drawn on the surface appears differently. The same process when done to a torisphere gives you a spheritorus and vice versa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inside-out_torus_(animated,_small).gif
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Keiji » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:26 am

Polyhedron Dude wrote:(((III)I)I) could be called the toritorisphere or ditorisphere

I like ditorisphere :nod:

Polyhedron Dude wrote:((II)(II)I) is a bit more tricky, duocylindritorus? - Any clue how it looks?, this could be used to name it.

No idea, perhaps your Voyager probe could find out for us? ;)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Keiji wrote:
Polyhedron Dude wrote:(((III)I)I) could be called the toritorisphere or ditorisphere

I like ditorisphere :nod:

Polyhedron Dude wrote:((II)(II)I) is a bit more tricky, duocylindritorus? - Any clue how it looks?, this could be used to name it.

No idea, perhaps your Voyager probe could find out for us? ;)

I'll take a look at it - along with some of the others in the upcoming days. 8)
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Marek14 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Wow, lots of posts here as of late :)

This might be a good time to recapitulate for newer readers; I originally came upon tiger from parametric equations and then found that one kind of cross-sections was missing from cross-sections of then-known toratopes. I think I came up with the "inflated duocylinder margin" (or Clifford torus) after that.

The name "tiger" is basically a pun, since "tora" is japanese for "tiger" and I had the feeling that the shape I came upon is a "beast" -- thus I started to call it "tiger" and I'm very pleased that the name stuck and is still in use :D

Polyhedron Dude: your renderings are great, but there's not many more 4D toratopes, sadly. Would you consider trying for 5D toratopes as well, in a similar vein to your polyteron images? :) If I read my old posts here correctly, there's 12 of them :)

Some of them, however, would have renderings looking like two spheres or torii inside of each other -- those might be better rendered with, say, one octant missing so the inner structure could be seen...
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 am

Marek14 wrote:Polyhedron Dude: your renderings are great, but there's not many more 4D toratopes, sadly. Would you consider trying for 5D toratopes as well, in a similar vein to your polyteron images? :) If I read my old posts here correctly, there's 12 of them :)

Some of them, however, would have renderings looking like two spheres or torii inside of each other -- those might be better rendered with, say, one octant missing so the inner structure could be seen...

I plan on doing those ;)
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby Marek14 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:47 am

Polyhedron Dude wrote:
Marek14 wrote:Polyhedron Dude: your renderings are great, but there's not many more 4D toratopes, sadly. Would you consider trying for 5D toratopes as well, in a similar vein to your polyteron images? :) If I read my old posts here correctly, there's 12 of them :)

I plan on doing those ;)

Just building a quick list (also to get used to new names)... Might contain errors. In particular, I'm not sure how exactly to describe two displaced ditoruses. ((((I)I)I)I), (((II)(I))I) and (((II)I)(I)) are all different positions, first is encountered in cuts of tritorus, second in tigric torus and third in cyltorintigroid.

Pentasphere (IIIII): Origin is a sphere. Axes are glomes, so the spheres will shrink along them. Graph has circular symmetry.

Toratesserinder ((II)III): three possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((xy)zwv), they are xy, xz and zw.
xy: Origin is empty. Axes are pairs of displaced glomes, so each will have a sphere appear, grow, shrink and disappear in both directions. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is a pair of displaced spheres. Axes are pairs of displaced glomes (x) and toracubinder (z). In x direction, the spheres will shrink until they disappear. In z direction, spheres will transform into rotated Cassini ovals, merge, then disappear.
zw: Origin is a torus. Axes are toracubinders. In both directions, the inner diameter of torus will shrink until it reduces to a circle and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry.

Toraduocyldyinder ((II)(II)I): three possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((xy)(zw)v), they are xy, xz and xv.
xy: Origin is empty. Axes are pairs of vertically stacked toracubinders. In both directions, a circle will appear, then fatten into a torus and back into a circle. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is four spheres in vertices of a rectangle. Axes are pairs of vertically stacked toracubinders. In both directions, two pairs of spheres will merge, then disappear; however, in one direction the horizontal pairs will merge, in the other direction the vertical pairs.
xv: Origin is two toruses, vertically stacked. Axes are a pair of vertically stacked toracubinders (x) and a tiger (v). In x direction, inner diameter of both toruses will shrink until they reduce to circles and disappear. In v direction, toruses will merge and eventually reduce to a circle and disappear.

Toracubspherinder ((III)II): three possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((xyz)wv), they are xy, xw and wv.
xy: Origin is a pair of displaced spheres. Axes are toracubinders. In both directions, spheres will merge and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry.
xw: Origin is a torus. Axes are a toracubinder (x) and a toraspherinder (w). In x direction, inner diameter of torus will shrink until it reduces to a circle and disappears. In w direction, the hole will become filled and the torus eventually shrinks and disappears.
wv: Origin is a pair of concentric spheres. Axes are toraspherinders. In both directions, spheres will come closer until they merge and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry. Images should be cut open.

Toracubtorinder (((II)I)II): five possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as (((xy)z)wv), they are xy, xz, xw, zw and wv.
xy: Origin is empty. Both axes are pairs of toracubinders next to each other. In both directions, points will appear, separate into two spheres, then re-merge and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is four spheres arranged in a line. Axes are a pair of toracubinders next to each other (x) and a pair of toracubinders differing in their outer diameters (z). In x direction, each pair of spheres will merge and disappear. In z direction, inner pair of spheres will merge and disappear, after that the two remaining spheres will merge and disappear.
xw: Origin is a pair of toruses next to each other. Axes are a pair of toracubinders next to each other (x) and a ditorus (w). In x direction, inner diameters of both toruses will shrink until they reduce to circles and disappear. In w direction, the two toruses will merge and eventually disappear.
zw: Origin is a pair of toruses differing in their outer diameters. Axes are a pair of toracubinders differing in their outer diameters (z) and a ditorus (w). In z direction, inner diameters of both toruses will shrink until they reduce to circles and disappear. In w directions, the two toruses will merge into one and eventually reduce to a circle and disappear.
wv: Origin is a pair of two cocircular toruses. Both axes are ditoruses. In both directions, the toruses will come closer until they merge and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry. Images should be cut open.

Cylspherintigroid ((III)(II)): three possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((xyz)(wv)), they are xy, xw and wv.
xy: Origin is a pair of vertically stacked toruses. Both axes are tigers. In both directions, the toruses will merge until they become one and eventually reduce to a circle and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry.
xw: Origin is a pair of vertically stacked toruses. Axes are a tiger (x) and a pair of vertically stacked toraspherinders (w). In x direction, the toruses will merge until they become one and eventually reduce to a circle and disappear. In w direction, holes in toruses become filled and they eventually disappear.
wv: Origin is empty. Both axes are pairs of vertically stacked toraspherinders. In both directions, a sphere appears, splits in two concentric spheres, then merges again and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry. Image should be cut open.

Cyltorintigroid (((II)I)(II)): five possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as (((xy)z)(wv)), they are xy, xz, xw, zw and wv.
xy: Origin is empty. Both axes are pairs of tigers next to each other. In both directions, a circle appears, fattens into torus, splits in a pair of vertical toruses, then merges, reduces and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is four vertically stacked toruses. Axes are pairs of tigers next to each other (x) and two tigers differing in one of their outer diameters (z). In x direction, outer pairs of toruses merge, then reduce to a circle and disappear. In z direction, inner pair of toruses merges, reduces to a circle, then disappears, then the remaining pair does the same.
xw: Origin is two pairs of vertically stacked toruses next to each other. Axes are a pair of tigers next to each other (x) and a type 3 pair of ditoruses w). In x direction, each vertical pair of toruses merges, reduces to a circle and disappears. In w direction, each horizontal pair of toruses merges and eventually disappears.
zw: Origin is two pairs of vertically stacked toruses differing in their outer diameters. Axes are two tigers differing in one of their outer diameters (z) and a type 3 pair of ditoruses (w). In z direction, each vertical pair of toruses merges and eventually reduces to a circle and disappears. In w direction, each concentric pair of toruses merges and eventually reduces to a circle and disappears.
wv: Origin is empty. Both axes are type 3 pairs of ditoruses. In both directions, circle appears, becomes a torus, splits in a pair of toruses differing in their outer diameters, then re-merges, reduces and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry.

Toraglominder ((IIII)I): two possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((xyzw)v), they are xy and xv.
xy: Origin is a torus. Both axes are toraspherinders. In both directions, the hole becomes filled and the torus reduces to a point and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry.
xv: Origin is a pair of concentric spheres. Axes are a toraspherinder (x) and a pair of concentric glomes (v). In x direction, the spheres come together, merge and disappear. In v direction, the spheres shrink until the inner, and then the outer sphere disappears. Image should be cut open.

Cylindrical ditorus (((II)II)I): five possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as (((xy)zw)v), they are xy, xz, xv, zw and zv.
xy: Origin is empty. Both axes are pairs of toraspherinders next to each other. In both directions, a point appears, grows, gets a hole to become a torus, then fills it, shrinks and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is a pair of toruses next to each other. Axes are a pair of toraspherinders next to each other (x) and a ditorus (z). In x direction, each torus fills its hole and disappears. In z direction, the toruses merge and eventually disappear.
xv: Origin is two displaced pairs of concentric spheres. Axes are a pair of toraspherinders next to each other (x) and a pair of cocircular toracubinders (v). In x direction, each pair of concentric spheres comes closer, merges and disappears. In v direction, outer, then inner spheres merge, shrink and inner, then outer spheres disappear. Image should be cut open.
zw: Origin is a pair of toruses differing in their outer diameters. Both axes are ditoruses. In both directions, the toruses merge, then reduce to a circle and disappear. Graph has circular symmetry.
zv: Origin is a pair of cocircular toruses. Axes are a ditorus (z) and a pair of cocircular toracubinders (v). In z direction, toruses come closer, merge and disappear. In v direction, each torus shrinks its inner diameter, reduces to circle, then disappears. Image should be cut open.

Tigric torus (((II)(II))I): three possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as (((xy)(zw))v), they are xy, xz and xv.
xy: Origin is empty. Both axes are type 2 pairs of ditoruses. In both directions, torus appears, splits in two cocircular toruses, then re-merges and disappears. Graph has circular symmetry. Image should be cut open.
xz: Origin is four toruses arranged in vertices of a rectangle. Both axes are type 2 pairs of ditoruses. In both directions, two pairs of toruses merge and eventually disappear, but in one of them vertical pairs merge, in the other the horizontal pairs.
xv: Origin is two vertically stacked pairs of cocircular toruses. Axes are a type 2 pair of ditoruses (x) and two comarginal tigers (v). In x direction, the cocircular pairs come closer, merge and disappear. In v direction, the vertical pairs merge (outer, then inner), reduce to a circle (inner, then outer) and disappear. Image should be cut open.

Spheric ditorus (((III)I)I): four possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as (((xyz)w)v), they are xy, xw, xv and wv.
xy: Origin is a pair of toruses next to each other. Both axes are ditoruses. In both directions, the toruses merge and eventually disappear. Graph has circular symmtery.
xw: Origin is a pair of toruses differing in their outer diameters. Axes are a ditorus (x) and a pair of toraspherinders differing in their outer diameters (w). In x direction, toruses merge, reduce to a circle and disappear. In w direction, inner torus fills its hole, shrinks and disappears, then the outer torus fills its hole, shrinks and disappears.
xv: Origin is a pair of cocircular toruses. Axes are a ditorus (x) and a pair of cospherical toraspherinders (v). In x direction, toruses come closer, merge and disappear. In v direction, toruses fill their holes (outer, then inner), shrink and disappear (inner, then outer). Image should be cut open.
wv: Origin is four concentric spheres. Axes are a pair of toraspherinders differing in their outer diameters (w) and a pair of cospherical toraspherinders (v). In w direction, two outer pairs of spheres come closer, merge and disappear. In v direction, two inner spheres merge, then disappear, then two outer spheres merge, then disappear. Image should be cut open.

Tritorus ((((II)I)I)I): seven possible coordinate renderings, if displayed as ((((xy)z)w)v), they are xy, xz, xw, xv, zw, zv and wv.
xy: Origin is empty. Both axes are type 1 pairs of ditoruses. In both directions, complete cut of ditorus with two toruses in the middle appears. Graph has circular symmetry.
xz: Origin is four toruses lying in a line. Axes are a type 1 pair of ditoruses (x) and a pair of ditoruses differing in their outer diameter (z). In x direction, two outer pairs of toruses merge and eventually disappear. In z direction, inner pair of toruses merges first, then the outer pair.
xw: Origin is two pairs of toruses differing in their outer diameters lying next to each other. Axes are a type 1 pair of ditoruses (x) and a pair of ditoruses differing in their middle diameter (w). In x direction, each concentric pair merges, reduces to a circle and disappears. In w direction, the outer toruses merge, then the inner, eventually inner disappears, then outer.
xv: Origin is two pairs of cocircular toruses lying next to each other. Axes are a type 1 pair of ditoruses (x) and a pair of cotoroidal ditoruses (v). In x direction, each pair of toruses comes closer, merge, then disappear. In v direction, the outer toruses merge, then the inner, eventually inner disappears, then outer. Image should be cut open.
zw: Origin is four concentric toruses differing in their outer diameters. Axes are a pair of ditoruses differing in their outer diameter (z) and a pair of ditoruses differing in their middle diameter (w). In z direction, each outer pair of toruses merges, reduces to a circle, then disappears. In w direction, inner pair of toruses merges, then disappears, then the outer pair.
zv: Origin is two concentric pairs of cocircular toruses differing in their outer diameters. Axes are a pair of ditoruses differing in their outer diameter (z) and a pair of cotoroidal ditoruses (v). In z direction, each pair of toruses merges, then disappears. In v direction, outer toruses merge, then inner toruses, then inner toruses reduce to a circle and disappear, then outer toruses. Image should be cut open.
wv: Origin is four cocircular toruses. Axes are a pair of ditoruses differing in their middle diameter (w) and a pair of cotoroidal ditoruses (v). In w direction, outer pairs of toruses merge, then disappear. In v direction, inner pair of toruses merges and disappears, then the outer pair. Image shoud be cut open.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 am

This got me thinking about the combinatorical structure of toratopes. Basically, toratopes are, in the notation, made of parenthesis and I's.
The thing is that we can consider both of these separately. Heretofore, I suggest calling the parenthesis structure the BONES of a toratope, while the I's will be the MEAT. This is because bones show the basic structure, while the meat "bulks it up" into various dimensions.
Meat represents the DIMENSIONS of the toratope, while bones represent its DIAMETERS -- i.e. how many different diameters it has and how they are related to each other.

First of all, to study the cuts of toratopes, the notation can be extended a bit. Currently, it obeys this important rule:

Rule: Every pair of parentheses contains at least two terms (further parentheses or I's).

However, this rule can be relaxed. We can allow a pair of parentheses to contain only a single term, or even to be empty.

Why would we do that? Well, because this gives us a simple way how to describe a group of toratopes (let's call it a HERD) at once.

There are two simple rules here:

1. By replacing "I" with "(I)", you change the toratope into two identical toratopes, displaced in a dimension signified by that particular "I".
2. By replacing "(x)" with "((x))", you change the toratope into two toratopes, differing in a diameter signified by that particular pair of parentheses.

Let's consider a sphere: (III).
By rule 1, we can make it into two separate spheres: ((I)II).
By rule 2, we can make it into two concentric spheres: ((III)).

Both these "herds" then naturally arise as cuts of four-dimensional toratopes.
((I)II) is a cut of toracubinder ((II)II).
((III)) is a cut of toraspherinder ((III)I).

So this extension makes it much simpler to cut toratopes: you simply leave 1 or more I's out and the rest will reduce to either a toratope, or a herd.

What about empty pairs of parentheses?

Well, if the figure contains any empty pair of parentheses, the whole figure is an empty set -- a HOLEY GHOST, as it is. But the bones, i.e. structure of parentheses, is still important.

This is what happens in my analysis wherever I say "Origin is empty." For example, in toratesserinder ((II)III), the three possible renderings are basically double cuts to reduce the meat to mere three dimensions, and they are:
(()III)
((I)II)
((II)I)

The first type has empty origin, but structure appears as we move further from it. It's also a "cut" of pair of glomes in 4D taken between them.

This means that the toratopes in 1-5 dimensions can be reduced to just a handful of "species" that share their bones:

Sphere species, (), contains two separated points on a line (I), circle (II), sphere (III), glome (IIII) and pentasphere (IIIII). This is a HERBIVORE species that grows nice and fat and falls prey to the beasts.
Torus species, (()), contains torus ((II)I), toracubinder ((II)II), toraspherinder ((III)I), toratesserinder ((II)III), toracubspherinder ((III)II) and toraglominder ((IIII)I). Apart from these, it also contains pairs of spheres ((x)) and ((I)x) and quartet of points ((I)).
Tiger species, (()()), contains tiger ((II)(II)), toraduocyldinder ((II)(II)I) and cylspherintigroid ((III)(II)). As for herds, it contains pairs of toruses like ((II)(I)), and quartets of spheres like ((I)(I)). From this, we can derive a general rule:

Rule 1: To get members of herd, remove the innermost pair of parentheses. This can be done multiple times. Every removal doubles the size of the herd.
Rule 2: To get the lowest dimension of the herd members, count the innermost pair of parentheses.

Of course, for rule 2 you must realized that a 1-dimensional sphere can arise as well, and this is just pair of points. This means that if there's only 1 innermost pair of parentheses, there's a herd of points that is even double the size of the sphere herd.
Every hyperplane cut of a toratope, of arbitrary dimension, preserves the bones, and so it must be lower-dimensional toratope of the same species or a herd of the toratope's prey (that's when you cut through the stomach and reveal what it ate).

This suggests a natural FOOD CHAIN, where tigers prey on toruses and spheres and toruses prey on spheres.

Then we have ditorus species ((())) - ditorus, toracubtorinder, cylindrical ditorus, spheric ditorus and more in higher dimensions.

This also suggests a naming scheme for toratopes that would be easier to remember and extend.
Have a specific name for the generic toratope in a species, and then attach numbers.
So generic sphere is (x), so we have, of course, 2-sphere, 3-sphere, 4-sphere and so on.
But a torus is generally ((x)y), so we can talk about 21-torus (basic), 31-torus and 22-torus in 4d, 41-torus, 32-torus and 23-torus in 5D, etc.
The basic tiger is, in fact, a 220-tiger ((2)(2)0), and we have 320- and 221-tigers in 5 dimensions and 420-, 330-, 321- and 222-tigers in 6 dimensions.

And so on. Ditorus is (((a)b)c), so 4D version is 211-ditorus and 5D has 311-, 221- and 212- versions. The structure of species determines possible symmetries and minimal values.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Let's try to establish toratopes with my new proposed naming scheme up to 6th dimension:

2D:
(II) - circle, 2-sphere, first of ()

3D:
(III) - sphere, 3-sphere
((II)I) - torus, 21-torus, first of (()); immediate prey - spheres

4D:
(IIII) - glome, 4-sphere
((II)II) - 22-torus
((II)(II)) - tiger, 220-tiger, first of (()()); immediate prey - toruses
((III)I) - 31-torus
(((II)I)I) - ditorus, 211-ditorus, first of ((())); immediate prey - toruses

5D:
(IIIII) - 5-sphere
((II)III) - 23-torus
((II)(II)I) - 221-tiger
((III)II) - 32-torus
(((II)I)II) - 212-ditorus
((III)(II)) - 320-tiger
(((II)I)(II)) - torus tiger, 2120-torus tiger, first of ((())()); immediate prey - tigers and ditoruses
((IIII)I) - 41-torus
(((II)II)I) - 221-ditorus
(((II)(II))I) - tiger torus, 2201-tiger torus, first of ((()())); immediate prey - ditoruses
(((III)I)I) - 311-ditorus
((((II)I)I)I) - tritorus, 2111-tritorus, first of (((()))); immediate prey - ditoruses

6D:
(IIIIII) - 6-sphere
((II)IIII) - 24-torus
((II)(II)II) - 222-tiger
((II)(II)(II)) - tritiger, 2220-tritiger, first of (()()()); immediate prey - tigers
((III)III) - 33-torus
(((II)I)III) - 213-ditorus
((III)(II)I) - 321-tiger
(((II)I)(II)I) - 2121-torus tiger
((III)(III)) - 330-tiger
(((II)I)(III)) - 2130-torus tiger
(((II)I)((II)I)) - duotorus tiger, 21210-duotorus tiger, first of ((())(())); immediate prey - torus tigers
((IIII)II) - 42-torus
(((II)II)II) - 222-ditorus
(((II)(II))II) - 2202-tiger torus
(((III)I)II) - 312-ditorus
((((II)I)I)II) - 2112-tritorus
((IIII)(II)) - 420-tiger
(((II)II)(II)) - 2220-torus tiger
(((II)(II))(II)) - double tiger, 22020-double tiger, first of ((()())()); immediate prey - torus tigers and tiger toruses
(((III)I)(II)) - 3120-torus tiger
((((II)I)I)(II)) - ditorus tiger, 21120-ditorus tiger, first of (((()))()); immediate prey - torus tigers and tritoruses
((IIIII)I) - 51-torus
(((II)III)I) - 231-ditorus
(((II)(II)I)I) - 2211-tiger torus
(((III)II)I) - 321-ditorus
((((II)I)II)I) - 2121-tritorus
(((III)(II))I) - 3201-tiger torus
((((II)I)(II))I) - torus tiger torus, 21201-torus tiger torus, first of (((())())); immediate prey - tiger toruses and tritoruses
(((IIII)I)I) - 411-ditorus
((((II)II)I)I) - 2211-tritorus
((((II)(II))I)I) - tiger ditorus, 22011-tiger ditorus, first of (((()()))); immediate prey - tritoruses
((((III)I)I)I) - 3111-tritorus
(((((II)I)I)I)I) - tetratorus, 21111-tetratorus, first of ((((())))); immediate prey - tritoruses
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Polyhedron Dude » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 am

Here are some more renders:

A third view of the ditorus:

Two views of the spheritorus:

Two views of the torisphere:
Whale Kumtu Dedge Ungol.
Polyhedron Dude
Trionian

Postby wendy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 am

For those following the spherated terminology:

spheritorus = spherated circle or spherated glomolatrix.
torisphere = spherated sphere or spherated glomohedrix

Of marek14's figures. I have added a different terminology, based on making a thin shape and doing the final act to 'spherate' it. The words basically follow the polyglos. The words in -id derive from 'solid', carries the meaning of 'to make solid in X dimensions'. Since a hedrix is a 2-cloth, then hedrid means 2d-solid.

glomo- means spheric, is described by its surface in both cases.
a glomo-X-on is a thing covered by an X-patch, that is an X+1 sphere: ie a glomohedron is a thing covered by a round 2d patch.
a glomo-X-ix is the cloth itself, without an interior.

At the moment, i have described (1), spheres, 2, fattened sphere-shells, and 3, fattened sphere-shell prisms.

We shall need a fancier term to do a hollow version of -id (eg replace a line with a hollow 3d sphere, etc).

2D:
(||) glomolatron

3D:
(III) - sphere, 3-sphere glomohedron
((II)I) - torus, 21-torus, first of (()); immediate prey - spheres chorid latrix

4D:
(IIII) - glome, 4-sphere glomochoron
((II)II) - 22-torus terid glomolatrix
((II)(II)) - tiger, 220-tiger, first of (()()); immediate prey - toruses terid bi-glomolatric prism
((III)I) - 31-torus terid glomohedrix
(((II)I)I) - ditorus, 211-ditorus, first of ((())); immediate prey - toruses

5D:
(IIIII) - 5-sphere glomoteron
((II)III) - 23-torus petid glomlatrix
((II)(II)I) - 221-tiger
((III)II) - 32-torus petid glomochorix
(((II)I)II) - 212-ditorus
((III)(II)) - 320-tiger petid glomohedrix-glomolatrix prism
(((II)I)(II)) - torus tiger, 2120-torus tiger, first of ((())()); immediate prey - tigers and ditoruses
((IIII)I) - 41-torus petid glomochorix
(((II)II)I) - 221-ditorus
(((II)(II))I) - tiger torus, 2201-tiger torus, first of ((()())); immediate prey - ditoruses
(((III)I)I) - 311-ditorus
((((II)I)I)I) - tritorus, 2111-tritorus, first of (((()))); immediate prey - ditoruses

6D:
(IIIIII) - 6-sphere
((II)IIII) - 24-torus
((II)(II)II) - 222-tiger
((II)(II)(II)) - tritiger, 2220-tritiger, first of (()()()); immediate prey - tigers
((III)III) - 33-torus
(((II)I)III) - 213-ditorus
((III)(II)I) - 321-tiger
(((II)I)(II)I) - 2121-torus tiger
((III)(III)) - 330-tiger
(((II)I)(III)) - 2130-torus tiger
(((II)I)((II)I)) - duotorus tiger, 21210-duotorus tiger, first of ((())(())); immediate prey - torus tigers
((IIII)II) - 42-torus
(((II)II)II) - 222-ditorus
(((II)(II))II) - 2202-tiger torus
(((III)I)II) - 312-ditorus
((((II)I)I)II) - 2112-tritorus
((IIII)(II)) - 420-tiger
(((II)II)(II)) - 2220-torus tiger
(((II)(II))(II)) - double tiger, 22020-double tiger, first of ((()())()); immediate prey - torus tigers and tiger toruses
(((III)I)(II)) - 3120-torus tiger
((((II)I)I)(II)) - ditorus tiger, 21120-ditorus tiger, first of (((()))()); immediate prey - torus tigers and tritoruses
((IIIII)I) - 51-torus
(((II)III)I) - 231-ditorus
(((II)(II)I)I) - 2211-tiger torus
(((III)II)I) - 321-ditorus
((((II)I)II)I) - 2121-tritorus
(((III)(II))I) - 3201-tiger torus
((((II)I)(II))I) - torus tiger torus, 21201-torus tiger torus, first of (((())())); immediate prey - tiger toruses and tritoruses
(((IIII)I)I) - 411-ditorus
((((II)II)I)I) - 2211-tritorus
((((II)(II))I)I) - tiger ditorus, 22011-tiger ditorus, first of (((()()))); immediate prey - tritoruses
((((III)I)I)I) - 3111-tritorus
(((((II)I)I)I)I) - tetratorus, 21111-tetratorus, first of ((((())))); immediate prey - tritoruses
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I have another idea for interesting renders:

Start with halfway cut of the figure, and then rotate it until it becomes another halfway figure. For example, all three cuts of ditorus should be continually morphable into each other.

Two toruses side-by side can morph into two concentric toruses since both have vertical cut of four circles in line. (This plane will stay constant throughout the rotation, with only things outside of it transforming.)
Two concentric toruses can morph into two cocircular toruses since both have horizontal cut of four concentric circles.
Two cocircular toruses can morph into two toruses side-by-side since first has vertical, and second horizontal cut of two pairs of concentric circles.

The same way, both cuts of toracubinder have a cut of two circles, both cuts of toracubinder have a cut of two concentric circles and two different cuts of tiger both have a cut of four circles.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Those are some cool algorithms for deriving the cuts of torii. I felt like something ought to exist for it. Clearly you, Marek14, have been working on it far longer than me. I'm going to digest it for some time, and perhaps even translate it into the method I have come to learn. Cool stuff!
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:43 pm

ICN5D wrote:Those are some cool algorithms for deriving the cuts of torii. I felt like something ought to exist for it. Clearly you, Marek14, have been working on it far longer than me. I'm going to digest it for some time, and perhaps even translate it into the method I have come to learn. Cool stuff!

Yes, fairly long time, though with a big gap, of course :)
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am

What does cocircular mean? Concentric is one inside the other, side by side is what it is, also called "disjoint". But, I've never seen cocircular before.

Edit.... Does it mean "stacked vertically"? That would make sense, now that I think about it!

Keiji: I think I see how the toratopic dual works. It looks like the minor radius is switched with the major, when turning the torus inside out. So, this means that by turning a torisphere inside out, we will end up with a spheirtorus. That is, reversing the spherical major radius with the circular minor, to give a circular major and a spherical minor.
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:07 am

ICN5D wrote:What does cocircular mean? Concentric is one inside the other, side by side is what it is, also called "disjoint". But, I've never seen cocircular before.

Edit.... Does it mean "stacked vertically"? That would make sense, now that I think about it!

Keiji: I think I see how the toratopic dual works. It looks like the minor radius is switched with the major, when turning the torus inside out. So, this means that by turning a torisphere inside out, we will end up with a spheirtorus. That is, reversing the spherical major radius with the circular minor, to give a circular major and a spherical minor.

No, "cocircular" means that you have two toruses based on "blowing up" the same circle, so they have the same major diametet and only differ in the minor one. One is inside the other.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:45 am

Okay, I get it. Now, is that done with a perspective projection? As in a torinder can be viewed as a smaller torus inside a larger one, where both share the same major radius, and have skewed minor? Or does that feature have to be built-in somehow?

A little off topic, but I find it curious how a ditorus looks very similar to one of the projections of a cyltorinder. Where you have two parallel torii connected by an infinite number of circles. Both projections would look like the above description, a hollow 3-D torus with a thick skin. This skin would contain an infinite number of circles, and by crossing the layer, one would have to circumnavigate halfway around that circular extension, into N+1. But, of course, the circular extension of the cyltorinder would be much larger than the ditorus. I believe the effect at work here is the fact that a ditorus is one of the surface elements of a cyltorinder, and when this curved 4-surface is placed flat on our 3-plane, it's contact patch is a 3-D torus. Given that this cyltorinder was transparent, we could look through the contact patch, and into the rest of the 5-D shape. It would be similar to how a ditorus looks, if transparent as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, a cyltorinder has TWO ditoruses, very similar to a duocylinder, arranged in the same way! I just saw that in my mind for the first time, right now. Hell yes. Now, I can get some sleep.

-Philip
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 am

ICN5D wrote:Okay, I get it. Now, is that done with a perspective projection? As in a torinder can be viewed as a smaller torus inside a larger one, where both share the same major radius, and have skewed minor? Or does that feature have to be built-in somehow?

It's not really a projection, it's a cut. Two cocircular toruses are one of cuts of ditorus:

(((II)I)I) -> (((II)I))

Ditorus is a blown-up torus, the same way as torus is a blown-up circle. All members of the ditorus species ((())) are blown up members of torus species (()) and all have three radii, major, middle and minor. Two cocircular toruses are analogical to cutting a torus horizontally to reveal two concentric circles. ((II)I) -> ((II)) The points with set distance from a torus in 3D are, after all, just the points on a larger and a smaller torus around it.

A little off topic, but I find it curious how a ditorus looks very similar to one of the projections of a cyltorinder. Where you have two parallel torii connected by an infinite number of circles. Both projections would look like the above description, a hollow 3-D torus with a thick skin. This skin would contain an infinite number of circles, and by crossing the layer, one would have to circumnavigate halfway around that circular extension, into N+1. But, of course, the circular extension of the cyltorinder would be much larger than the ditorus. I believe the effect at work here is the fact that a ditorus is one of the surface elements of a cyltorinder, and when this curved 4-surface is placed flat on our 3-plane, it's contact patch is a 3-D torus. Given that this cyltorinder was transparent, we could look through the contact patch, and into the rest of the 5-D shape. It would be similar to how a ditorus looks, if transparent as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, a cyltorinder has TWO ditoruses, very similar to a duocylinder, arranged in the same way! I just saw that in my mind for the first time, right now. Hell yes. Now, I can get some sleep.

-Philip

Cyltorinder, as I see it from description, is a cartesian product of a torus and a circle. Let's see... how would my cut algorithm work for these?

Turns out it works, if we say that both I and (I) are lines when used in cartesian product. I is 1-dimensional cube and (I) is one-dimensional circle, but they are both just lines.

So, a cyltorinder is ((II)I)(II). Therefore, it has two cuts of form ((I)I)(II), one cut of form ((II))(II) and two cuts of form ((II)I)(I).
The first cut is cartesian product of a circle and ((I)I) -- which is a vertical cut of torus, two circles next to each other -- and so ((I)I)(II) are two duocylinders next to each other.
The second cut is a cartesian product of a circle and ((II)) -- two concentric circles -- so it's two duocylinders which have one diameter the same and second diameter different. If viewed as a solid figure, it would be cartesian product of one full disc and one space between concentric circles (English, unlike Czech, seems to lack a simple word for it).
The third cut is just a torinder.

If we want to visualise a cyltorinder in 3D, we have to make a second cut to bring it down to 3D. There are 10 possible 3-hyperplane cuts, which run as follows:

1 cut of form (()I)(II). This cut is empty. When displaying a plane of 3D cuts, it has a circular symmetry and when you go from the center, you see a circle which extends into a cylinder, then shrinks back into a circle and disappears.
2 cuts of form ((I))(II). This cut looks like two cylinders oriented face to face. In one direction, the cylinders shrink into circles and disappear. In the other direction, the cylinders come closer until they merge into one, THEN the resulting cylinder shrinks into a circle and disappears.
4 cuts of form ((I)I)(I). This cut looks like two cylinders next to each other. In one direction, they become Cassini ovals cylinders, merge, and eventually shrink into a line and disappear. In the other direction, they just shrink vertically until they become a pair of circles and disappear.
2 cuts of form ((II))(I). This cut looks like a hollow cylinder. In one direction, the wall of the cylinder becomes thinner until it becomes just a sheet and disappears. In the other direction, the height of cylinder will shrink until it becomes just two concentric circles and disappears.
1 cut of form ((II)I)(). This cut looks like a torus. Plane has circular symmetry and when you go away from the center, the torus stays the same until you reach a circular boundary where it abruptly disappears.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 am

The problem with cutting open toratopes, as oppposed to closed ones, is that with closed toratope you get similar result no matter whether the toratope is solid or hollow. With open toratopes, that is not the case. For example the ((II)I)() 3D cut of cyltorinder will only be torus if the cyltorinder is solid (product of two solid figures). If we take product of hollow torus and hollow circle, this cut would be empty.
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am

That's interesting, right there. I've pretty much figured out how to derive the surface elements, but the cuts are new to me. Especially the cuts of more complex shapes.

A neat pattern I noticed with the Cartesian product of shape N and a circle, is that it can also be made by extruding N into a prism, than rotating the N-Prism around. This rotation will, in effect, trace the prism ends around, and connect them into a torus. This becomes an N-Torus as the new rolling surface. The connecting sides between the N-shapes of the N-prism will undergo a regular rotation, and if already a torus, the subshape will have the additional spin operation.

This is how I build up the cyltorinder:

1) Starting with a torus, I extrude into a prism, to make the Torinder. The torinder is interesting, in how it can be interpreted as both the extrusion of a circle-torus, and the torus of a circle-extrusion ( cylinder ). The latter description reveals some properties of the connecting surface, between the two torus-ends. Applying the torus operation (for lack of a better term), to a cylinder, will modify every surface element into its own torus. Since a hollow cylinder has two circles and a line-torus, they become two circle-toruses, and a line-ditorus. This is the torusing of a preexisting torus, the hollow tube, making a larger hollow tube out of a base-hollow-tube.

2) Upon lathing/rotating this torus-prism into 5-D, the torus ends are rotated around, along the path of a circle, to make a torus of the torus: a ditorus. The connecting surface, being a line-ditorus, will be transformed differently: the line being the subshape, will have a spin operation applied, turning into a circle, and thus, a circle-ditorus ( or just ditorus ). This makes for a shape that is very much like a duocylinder, in the way its two rolling surfaces are joined. Instead of two circle-toruses ( as in the case of a duocylinder ), the cyltorinder will have only two ditoruses, arranged orthogonally in the same way. That would be good info for the HDDB Wiki! ( I realize that I just repeated myself, but perhaps in a clearer way )

Now, ask me how to cut the darn thing, and I'm stumped!! Your cut algorithm is simple, and shouldn't take me too long. I don't see all of the additional ways to cut it, but it must be similar to the cuts of a duocylinder. It could also be required, like you said, by the dropping of a 5-D shape down into 3-D, which would be a two-step process. I have gotten pretty used to visualizing 4-D, so the first cuts of a 5-D shape come naturally. I usually derive just the N-1 slices, when I'm working with a shape and figuring it out.
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:51 am

I just figured out the surface elements of the cylspherinder. Crazy thing is, I didn't even need to consult the algorithms to do it. I can visualize it completely, now.

The cylspherinder can be made by the cartesian product of a sphere and a circle, or by rotating a sphere-prism into 5-D. Starting with a sphere, we extrude it into a prism, the spherinder. We now have two flat sphere ends, connected by a glomohedrix prism. This glomohedrix prism is the linear connection between both of the surfaces of the sphere-ends. Similar to the glomolatrix prism ( line-torus), that connects the circle ends of a cylinder together. If we then rotate this sphere prism around, in the traditional prism way into N+1, we will trace out the sphere ends into a new sphere torus, the spheritorus. The connecting glomohedrix prism will become rotated in a way where only the subshape ( minor radius ) is modified. My name for the glomohedrix prism is a line-globus, meaning "line that has been extruded along the 2-plane of a sphere". This name helps me identify the connecting torus as being linear ( from the initial extrusion ), between the sphere ends. When spun, linear turns into a circular, and by spinning only the minor line part of the spherical major radius, we end up with a circle, embedded into the 2-plane of a sphere, the Torisphere.

So, I found that interesting, that the cylspherinder's surface is a torisphere orthogonally bounded to a spheritorus, its toratopic dual. Is there a name for such a property, to have toratopic duals as surface elements?
ICN5D
Pentonian

PreviousNext

Return to Toratopes