parametric formula for rotatopes

Discussion of shapes with curves and holes in various dimensions.

parametric formula for rotatopes

Postby bo198214 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:59 pm

There was just asked about deriving the parametric formula in this thread. But a derivation is not that difficult.
First we need a parametric formula of the d-Spheres.
For sake of simplicity, I dont give them here, but only mention "general polar coordinates" (edit: as I now see they are anyway already given in this thread). Let us denote by H<sub>i</sub><sup>d</sup> the i-th component of a parametrization of the d-Sphere. H depends on a d-dimensional parameter vector and i runs from 1 to d+1. But H depends also on the radius R. Let me write it this way H[R]. Then the signature is roughly H<sup>d</sup>[R]: R<sup>d</sup> -> R<sup>d+1</sup>.
Now we can easily give the parameter formula of (A<sub>1</sub>...A<sub>n</sub>1...1) with d 1's. It is
P[R] = P<sub>1</sub>[R<sub>1</sub>+H<sup>n+d-1</sup><sub>1</sub>[R]] x ... x P<sub>n</sub>[R<sub>n</sub>+H<sup>n+d-1</sup><sub>n</sub>[R]] x (H<sup>n+d-1</sup><sub>n+1</sub>[R],...,H<sup>n+d-1</sup><sub>n+d</sub>[R])
Where the P<sub>i</sub>'s are (recursively) the parametric formula of the A<sub>i</sub>, R<sub>i</sub> is the radius parameter of P<sub>i</sub>, and the cartesian product x of parametric formulas is self explaining.

As trivial example consider (11). Its parametric formula is by the above formula P[R] = (H<sup>1</sup><sub>1</sub>[R],H<sup>1</sup><sub>2</sub>[R]) = H<sup>1</sup>[R]. Which is of course trivially indeed the 1-sphere. Or more specifically H<sup>1</sup>[R](t)=(Rcos(t),Rsin(t))

Having this representation we can continue with the torus ((11)1) as a second example. We apply the above formula an gain:
P[R] = P<sub>1</sub>[R<sub>1</sub>+H<sup>1</sup><sub>1</sub>[R]] x (H<sup>1</sup><sub>2</sub>[R])
= H<sup>1</sup>[R<sub>1</sub>+H<sup>1</sup><sub>1</sub>[R]] x (H<sup>1</sup><sub>2</sub>[R])
P[R](s,t)= H<sup>1</sup>[R<sub>1</sub>+Rcos(t)](s) x (Rsin(t))
= ((R<sub>1</sub>+Rcos(t))cos(s),(R<sub>1</sub>+Rcos(t))sin(s),Rsin(t))
which is indeed the torus parametric formula.

This procedure can be similarly applied to the rectangular bracket [] and the lozenge/tegum angles <> by exchanging H<sup>d</sup> correspondingly.
bo198214
Tetronian

Return to Toratopes