What's you're favorite 4d toratope?

Discussion of shapes with curves and holes in various dimensions.

What's you're favorite toratope?

Tesserect
13%
Glome
13%
Cubinder
13%
Spheritorus
No votes
Duocylinder
25%
Tiger
25%
Spherinder
No votes
Torishphere
No votes
Torinder
No votes
Ditorus
13%

Total votes : 8

What's you're favorite 4d toratope?

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:00 pm

What is your favorite Toratope that is in 4d? My favorite Toratope is the Duocylinder because it is basically a 2d plane that curves back in on it self but it requires four spatial dimensions to curve back in on itself. The Duocylinder is strange in the sense that it is a surface that requires n+2 dimensions to curve back in on itself instead of n+1 dimensions to curve back in on itself. A Duocylinder is a square but unlike what we usually think of as a square it is a square that has no edges and which curves back in on itself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: What's you're favorite 4d toratope?

Postby quickfur » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:39 pm

I voted for the glome, but not just any old glome... I have in mind the Hopf fibration, of which the duocylinder is the simplest discrete version, but you can build bigger regular polytwisters out of it, that consist of n torus-shaped manifolds that wrap around each other in a swirling way. The biggest regular polytwister is probably the icosahedral polytwister, consisting of 20 triangular torus-like things that wrap around each other and close up into a ball. :lol: You should see this thing in 4D, it's pretty impressive!
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Marek14 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I voted for tiger :) I consider it something of my child :D
Marek14
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:34 pm

I voted for ditorus, because I remember imagining and visualising the sequence of torus, ditorus, tritorus, etc. long before learning about the tiger or that there were exactly 5+5 toratopes in 4D. :)
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I'd have to say Tiger as well. It's a super cool shape that only begins to occur in 4D. Not to mention the strange concept of its two major radii and a single minor, and how it's built in 4D.
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby quickfur » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I would've voted for the tiger, except that I felt kinda let down when I eventually learned that it was nothing more than an "inflated" duocylinder ridge. Not that it's any less cool, mind you, but it's just that I expected a far more exotic shape, yet it turned out to be something "simple", or at least closely related to something very familiar to me -- the duocylinder.
quickfur
Pentonian

Return to Toratopes