Perpetual motion machine

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

Do you believe in perpetual motion?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes : 39

Postby moonlord » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:47 pm

I've got it now. Well, I don't think the analogy is quite correct, but I see the point. You think that if energy/mass is not conservated anymore, the universe will cease to exist.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby batmanmg » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:08 am

yes, but not right away, and in fact, unless you can find a way to avoid being destroyed by the big crunch/next big bang, like escaping through 4d space into another universe, then any device you creat will be destroyed, and therefor the balance restored, and the perpetual motion device wouldn't be very perpetual at all.
batmanmg
Trionian

Re: Perpetual motion machine

Postby Super Hans » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:14 pm

It all depends on whether you want yuo perpetual motion machine to just run forever, or if you want to be able to extract work from it and it still run forever. The first is possible in theory, and impossible in practice, and the second always impossible (conservation of energy).

Can't use a giant rotating space magnet (would be cool though) as the induced current would induce it's own magnetic field to oppose the magnet's field slowing the magnet. In the end the net gain of electrical energy will be less than or equal to the initial energy the spinning magnet had.

The Casimir effect is really as close as you can get as it is pretty much extracting energy from the universe itself.

Casimir Effect
Super Hans
Nullonian

Postby holomanga » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 pm

My idea would be a ball falling around the surface of a tesseract. it would keep on going forever, and we would be able to attach turbines to it.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am

...And what would make it keep on going forever?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 pm

If the ball was magnetic, and the tesseract was spinning in a vaccuum above a magnet, and for some reason or another gravity was not present, then the tesseract would rotate forever, with the ball falling down round it's surface.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Yes, the magnetic ball would move forever. However, as soon as you tried to harvest its kinetic energy by "attaching a turbine to it", you'd slow the ball down and eventually it'd stop.

Planets orbit around their stars forever, but that doesn't mean planets are perpetual motion machines.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 pm

In theory, you could make a machine go forever by taking smaller and smaller amounts of energy from it. So take 1 energyunit from it, then 0.5, then 0.25, and so on. It will keep on running forever.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 am

Then you'd only get a finite amount of energy from it.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Light would have perpetual motion as it never stops and anything in space just floating between galaxies would have perpetual motion as there would be nothing to stop it from moving. Also the galactic clusters have perpetual motion as they are speeding up in their movement away from each other instead of slowing down. Perpetual motion may be rare but it does exist in nature.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby holomanga » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:36 pm

It seems the universe expanding plucks energy out of nowhere, so if we could slow down the expansion of the universe we could get infinite energy.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Are you guys just guessing what perpetual motion means? You have a magic box in front of you that can tell you the meaning of any word, you don't need to guess.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby mghtymoop » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Perpetual Motion, or very close to it, is easy, take an object into the vacuum of space, point it away from any other objects strong gravitational forces and give it a shove, done...
meet the dragon
stand together
feel the fire
blame the weather
mghtymoop
Dionian

Postby holomanga » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:41 pm

I don't have a magic box in front of me that can tell me the meaning of any word though.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 pm

This is getting quite ridiculous.

Yes, of course anything in space that is not being slowed by atmospheric drag would continue moving forever, due to Newton's First Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion wrote:First Law: Every body remains in a state of rest or uniform motion (constant velocity) unless it is acted upon by an external unbalanced force. This means that in the absence of a non-zero net force, the center of mass of a body either remains at rest, or moves at a constant speed in a straight line.

That does not mean it is a perpetual motion machine. A perpetual motion machine is something which produces more energy than it consumes - by continuing to operate at the same velocity while energy is being taken from it.

Objects moving through space do continue to move at the same velocity, but no energy is being taken from them.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby PWrong » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:35 am

I don't have a magic box in front of me that can tell me the meaning of any word though.

Describe the object you're looking at right now, the one that is currently inches away from your face.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Chronicus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 am

I don't know if a perpetual motion machine is possible but I don't think one can write it off with Thermodynamics, either.

I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about in this regard, but I found these videos to be rather interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/dancombine
Chronicus
Nullonian

Postby student91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Keiji wrote:This is getting quite ridiculous.

Yes, of course anything in space that is not being slowed by atmospheric drag would continue moving forever, due to Newton's First Law:
[...]
Objects moving through space do continue to move at the same velocity, but no energy is being taken from them.

Couldn't you argue, due to relativity, that the thing isn't moving at all?
How easily one gives his confidence to persons who know how to give themselves the appearance of more knowledge, when this knowledge has been drawn from a foreign source.
-Stern/Multatuli/Eduard Douwes Dekker
student91
Tetronian

Postby wendy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:09 am

Something that is rotating, or travelling in an orbit, does experience some form of 'proper motion'. Relativity, either that of Newton or Einstein, has no bit to play here.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Klitzing » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:20 am

Well, energy is just the integrated force along some path.
Traveling without force thus implies no energy gain possible.
--- rk
Klitzing
Pentonian

Postby ICN5D » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:26 pm

An idea I've always had was a perpetual motion machine using wormholes. Assuming these wormholes don't require gravity to exist, they could be used to power an infinite energy generator. Let's say one was placed above the other, in a gravity field, and we place the bottom wormhole in a container of water. There would be a continuous flow of water going in the bottom and coming out of the top, only to be caught by the bucket again. Then, enclose this flowing system to prevent evaporation, and place a hydroelectric turbine in the middle. Voila, there's your power generator, assuming that the wormholes don't require the power of a 1000 tesla magnet, in order to bend space :)
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Postby Keiji » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Except that assuming wormholes exist, gravity fields extend through them (very much unlike the popular video game Portal!). So it would take the same amount of energy for the water or anything else to be raised from the bottom wormhole to the top one, regardless of whether it went through the wormhole or not.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby ICN5D » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Okay, I'll buy that. Portal is a great game, by the way. It's probably capable of rendering a virtual reality 11-cell, or any Source engine for that matter.

How about another continuous flowing system? This one would require a temperature of incredibly cold, somewhere around a few degrees of absolute zero, and gravity to work. In the darkest reaches of interstellar space, it gets to a best of 3 to 4 Kelvins. I remember learning about superfluid helium and how it is attracted to magnetic fields. In the magnetic fountain experiment, the superfluid is flowing up and out of the container, towards a magnetic field, against the pull of gravity. If using a permanent magnet, and maintaining the temperature properly, it should allow for a continuous flow. How to harness this kinetic energy? Good question! Superfluid helium has the special property of zero viscosity, so this would create a problem when trying to move something else with the moving mass. One cannot really stir up a bucket of superfluid helium, with a spatula. In addition to the fluid always trying to slide up and out of any container, the containment issue is also present. But, it's worth a few thought experiments. Perhaps the second-sound property from heat dissipation can be harnessed, or even the third-sound, where a layer only a few microns thick will develop wave propagation to dissipate heat. The quantum world still has yet to show itself completely, if it ever will. There may still be some strange things that can be done!
It is by will alone, I set my donuts in motion
ICN5D
Pentonian

Previous

Return to General