I forgot this forum existed!

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

I forgot this forum existed!

Postby moonlord » Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 am

Well hello people! Long time no see.

I see there is not much going on in the forums anymore except in the geometry areas. I understand that "we kinda got it all right" for a variety of reasons.
However, I remember that the forum was much more than just 4D questions, and there were a wealth of random questions we liked to muse about and waste our time on.
So I wonder: since my last post here was like, ages ago (6 years, my god!) and a lot has happened in the meanwhile, what have people been up to?

For one, I finished high-school in my home city of Constanta, RO, circa 2010 and hit the admissions jackpot with a free spot in Some Old University in New Jersey. As my third year here comes to an end, I realize just how much I've learned in the meanwhile. I was just reading the posts on some old thread and PWrong said at some point "I forgot you don't know any calculus". Holy sift! Did I ever not know calculus!? I've also got a whole bunch of questions on my mind these days! Surely I'm not the only one here.

So, what's up?

Guess it's fair I started. What bugs me most these days are bandit problems - specifically, stochastic fixed budget. Spend 2 hours on http://www.princeton.edu/~sbubeck/pub.html for a good idea (he's one of my advisers for undergraduate research). I hope I could discuss some of those issues with you guys!
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Re: I forgot this forum existed!

Postby Klitzing » Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

Welcome back!
(So, I have to admit, that I weren't in here in those early days...)
Any fresh (or refreshed) breeze is invaluable!

I'd say: throw in your ideas and questions, whatever they are. Else you will not see, whether s.o. would like to discuss. This is, what a forum is for...

--- rk
Klitzing
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 am

I vaguely think RO = romania, in the near east. I can't think of any canadian state (or states south thereof) with those runes.

in any case, welcome back. i still visit here most days, usually to make sure no one is playing up too much. (there -are- rules). i've been wrangling the dozenal society list of late, mostly convincing them that base 120 is the go.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby Hugh » Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi moonlord, long time! :D

I pop in here every week or so, I'm still interested in any new ideas about a possible VRI/4D connection.

Good to have you back!
Hugh
Tetronian

Return to General