Tamfang's Runes

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

Tamfang's Runes

Postby Tamfang » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm

quickfur wrote:... I invented two languages, the first of which was a failure due to a lack on understanding of linguistics on my part ...

My adolescent imitation of Sindarin was "half-assed" because I didn't understand umlaut.

More recently I invented a set of glyphs suitable for a syllabary: http://bendwavy.org/doodle/runes17x18.png

(edited for broken link)
Last edited by Tamfang on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamfang
Dionian

Re: conlang

Postby quickfur » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Tamfang wrote:
quickfur wrote:... I invented two languages, the first of which was a failure due to a lack on understanding of linguistics on my part ...

My adolescent imitation of Sindarin was "half-assed" because I didn't understand umlaut.

My failure was due to the novelty of all the things I read about on the Conlang list that turned the language into a dysfunctional hodgepodge of the most exotic ideas I could think of at the time.

More recently I invented a set of glyphs suitable for a syllabary: http://ogre.nu/doodle/runes17x18.png

I like it. It looks like something that could, e.g., run down the hem of some priestly garments or some such, or decorate a door frame. *Ahem* Or, suitably generalized, serve as 4D writing. ;-) (There goes my feeble attempt to bring this post back on topic.)
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Tamfang » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:16 am

quickfur wrote:Or, suitably generalized, serve as 4D writing. ;-) (There goes my feeble attempt to bring this post back on topic.)

You could go post the first reply to my Heraldry topic.

The characters I made are the 306 connected combinations of six out of twelve segments of their common superset. The obvious hyperspatial analogue would use 27 out of 54 segments ... or you could use six of the twelve edges of a single cube; how many of those sets are connected?
Tamfang
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Tamfang wrote:The characters I made are the 306 connected combinations of six out of twelve segments of their common superset.

I think you'd have a much more suitable alphabet if you discarded rotational/reflectional (edit: and translated, in the case of the 2x3 ones) duplicates ;)

...I think I'm going to do that right now.

Edit: There seem to be 45 such runes:

Keiji
Administrator

Postby Tamfang » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Keiji wrote:I think you'd have a much more suitable alphabet if you discarded rotational/reflectional duplicates ;)

Even if it's to be used by people who don't distinguish up from down, asymmetries can be introduced in style features; for example, the "waist" stroke can be put above center.

I'd like to have them rendered in semi-sloppy style according to Chinese stroke order.

Edit: There seem to be 45 such runes:

Here ...
(This superimposes a polynomial fit to each sub-path.)

I usually omit the 28 half-size forms.
Last edited by Tamfang on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamfang
Dionian

Re: New nomenclature for regular polytopes

Postby quickfur » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:14 pm

This discussion on glyphs is interesting... it made me reconsider what 4D writing is more likely to be.

A naïve generalization of 3D writing may suggest such glyphs as a hollow sphere to be the analogue of 'O', or that glyphs would be made of 2D curves and polygons. However, such a writing is highly impractical except in print, because filling out a hedrix (2-manifold) to make a character is a rather tedious task if you assume the nib of the pen to be a point. Even if you assume the nib to be an edge, the kind of shapes that can be written would be sweeps of that edge, rather than geometrical shapes like spheres. Plus, the sweeps would only trace out a 1D curve (possibly self-intersecting if the path crosses itself).

Furthermore, it is more practical if the curves that constitute each glyph more-or-less progresses in the direction of the writing, rather than form intricate polyhedral 1-skeletons. The latter is of course doable in print, but in handwriting, one would expect the development of a cursive which is more or less a 1D curve winding through the 3D surface of the paper, mostly progressing in the direction of writing, with some loopbacks and some angles. In other words, the glyphs won't be that elaborate at all, at the most consisting of a few loops and some simple branches, maybe with the occasional dot or diacritic. It would be unlikely, for example, to have glyphs with icosahedral symmetry, even if it seems very appealing to us.
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby Tamfang » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 am

Keiji wrote:I think you'd have a much more suitable alphabet if you discarded rotational/reflectional duplicates ;)

like bdpq, NZ, MW, 25, 69 ...?

And then there's Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics
Tamfang
Dionian

Postby quickfur » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Tamfang wrote:

like bdpq, NZ, MW, 25, 69 ...?

And then there's Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics

Wow, a two-year lapse between replies! ;)
quickfur
Pentonian

Return to General