Imaginary Dimension

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

Imaginary Dimension

Postby holomanga » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:02 pm

What would life be like in i dimensions? Put your ideas here, I don't have a clue.
holomanga
Dionian

Re: Imaginary Dimension

Postby anderscolingustafson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:00 am

Well in a universe with i dimensions the equivalent of the cube would have 2i sides. Also the equivalent of the tetrahedron in id would have i+1 sides. Also surfaces of objects would have i-1 dimensions just as in our universe the surfaces of objects have three minus one dimensions. In i dimensions if two objects were exactly the same shape and one object was a certain number of times bigger than the other object the bigger object would have an ivolume that was the diameter of the smaller object to the i.

In an i number of dimensions the intensity of light were d=distance could be found by the equation I=d^(-i+1). In i dimensions organisms would probably have i-1 eyes and i-1 legs. Writers in i dimensions would have 2i-2 directions to write in. Planets in id would have an imaginary number of organisms or zero organisms instead of a real number of organisms or zero organisms like in our universe. Also in id letters would be made of i-2 dimensional lines. It would take a blade of i-1 dimensions to cut an object into multiple pieces in id. Also in id the edges of continents would be continuous in i-2 dimensions. There would be an imaginary number of dimensions in an id universe and an id universe would have an imaginary ivolume.

I am do not know of any physical description I can give of id but I know that I can give some mathematical descriptions of id like the ones I just did. This concept is so strange that it is easy to imagine what the fourth dimension would be like compared to this. This concept would almost require it's own sub forum rather than just it's own topic.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby PWrong » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

What kind of dimension? The regular kind only works for natural numbers. You could maybe look at Hausdorff (fractal) dimension and fudge the equations to see what comes else comes out as imaginary. I don't think it would work though.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby holomanga » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:29 pm

anderscolingustafson wrote:This concept would almost require it's own sub forum rather than just it's own topic.

Now we wait for the admin to read this topic.

Nice description though. Complex numbers of dimensions are an interesting concept.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 am

It's all very well saying "X would have Y Zs" where Y evaluates to a complex number, but I think you're forgetting that the statement only makes sense where Y is a natural number.

Having a "cube with 2i sides" is like having a cube with a negative number of "sides". It doesn't work, does it?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm

It might do. With a thought experiment everything can make sense.

Something with -1 sides would mean adding 1 side would make it have no sides. So, we could sort of fudge it in our minds and try to make it work.

Anyway, a 3i-D person would probabley say real numbers are impossible. Respect i dimensions. Just because we say it can't exist, doesn't mean it can't.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby quickfur » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm

"The number you have just dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone by 90 degrees and try again."
quickfur
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

There are places where mathematicians write numbers like ict, meaning that the square becomes negative. But it's the negative numbers, not the complex square-root, that matters.

One seriously wonders if people really do have a grasp that mathematics is more extensive than its contact with any particular field, and what happens in numbers, do not necessarily happen in its reality.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Return to General