Gravitons

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

Gravitons

Postby Sideshow » Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 am

Hi guys, it's been a while. I have a thought that I've been pondering, and I'd like to know what you all think.

Riddle me this: Every force has an associated massless force particle (electromagnetism has the photon, gravity the graviton, etc.). Black holes are objects possessing so much mass that they cause even massless particles to fall in and become entrapped. This is the paradox: If even photons are sucked in, why aren't gravitons? Sure, gravitons would be emitted to carry the force, but wouldn't the emitted gravitons just be sucked right back in? Why should they be able to escape a black hole when nothing else can?

Some thoughts:

Are force particles "immune" to the force they carry?

Doesn't the idea that black holes emit these particles stand contrary to the fact that nothing can escape them (aside form some other quantum evaporation)?
Sideshow
Dionian

Re: Gravitons

Postby wendy » Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 am

And therein lies the paradox.

Gravity is not due to particles, but due to a vector curvature of space, so inperceptable that erstwhile euclidean spaces can lead to a difference of tension of the order of 32 feet per second. Because straight in such space is measured in the equity of tension, particles are not "sucked into" a black hole, but rather head straight forward. The curvature of space is that the straight forward is pretty much towards the centre of heavy masses.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Re: Gravitons

Postby hosj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:29 am

So, quantum gravity violates general relativity ??
hosj
Mononian

Return to General