future 4d humans

Other scientific, philosophical, mathematical etc. topics go here.

In the distant future could humans ever evolve into 4d organisms?

Humans could evolve into 4d organisms if our universe becomes 4d.
No votes
Humans could evolve into 4d organisms with the help of native 4d organisms by entering a 4d universe.
29%
Humans could evolve into 4d organisms by going through a region of space that gradually leads to 4d.
14%
Humans could never evolve into 4d organisms.
57%

Total votes : 7

future 4d humans

Postby anderscolingustafson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 pm

After reading some of the posts on what the 4th dimension might be like I began to wonder rather we could ever evolve to become 4d ourselves. I also became curios as to what other peoples opinions were on this which is why I am starting this thread.

I hope everyone finds this to be an interesting topic.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Re: future 4d humans

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sun May 23, 2010 7:12 pm

I personally believe humans could evolve into 4d organisms with the help of native 4d organisms by entering a parallel universe, as suggested by another post of mine.

I still however want to hear what other users think about this, and Keiji I think you might have voted on this thread without posting a reply. If you did why did you vote without posting a reply to this thread.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm not obliged to post a reply when I vote in a poll, but I feel like a rant now so why not.

It is not possible for 3D beings to "become" or "evolve into" some kind of 4D beings. Any life-supporting 4D universe would necessarily have radically different laws of physics to ours, and therefore such a universe could not possibly interact with our own. Technically, if there existed a fourth dimension with any significant thickness, our sub-atomic particles could potentially rearrange themselves into a 4D arrangement, due to the discreteness of spacetime at such scales around the Planck distance, but gravity and orbitals, let alone anything else, would not work in four dimensions with our laws of physics.

This has been mentioned countless number of times by various people around the forum, yet you consistently deny this in the utmost belief that a fourth dimension exists and is somehow compatible with our laws of physics. It is easy for me to say "your belief is wrong", but no matter how many times I say this, you still do not take it seriously. This is why I have given up replying to anything you post.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:59 am

@Keiji: It is easy for me to say your belief is wrong

Because of the 10 dimensions involved in string theory, an infinite number of universes exist with a different dimension and laws of physics. If there are infinite variations, then there is an infitite chance of a life supporting, 4-D universe existing.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby PWrong » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:53 pm

The 10 dimensions of string theory don't necessarily imply a multiverse. And remember that the extra dimensions are curled up to the Planck length so they don't affect the fundamental forces on scales as big as atoms.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby holomanga » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Or are the extra dimensions only effecting our universe on the planck scale. If we can't detect it, then we don't know what it could be. A particle or a wave, for example. We can't tell anything about it until we have observed it.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:34 am

holomanga wrote:@Keiji: It is easy for me to say your belief is wrong

Because of the 10 dimensions involved in string theory, an infinite number of universes exist with a different dimension and laws of physics. If there are infinite variations, then there is an infitite chance of a life supporting, 4-D universe existing.

> assuming string theory

There's your problem. This thread isn't about string theory.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 pm

However, just because we do not explictly state it is 'about' something, it doesn't mean we can't use that concept.

Science isn't about maths, yet every day we use maths in science.
holomanga
Dionian

Postby Keiji » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Then let me put it this way.

Assuming the presence of string theory, the additional dimensions are too small too make any observable difference, thus whether we are 3d or 4d or 9001d doesn't change anything.

Assuming the absence of string theory, there is no (defined) way for a three-dimensional universe to interact with any other dimensions, therefore such an evolution wouldn't be possible in the first place.

In conclusion, either we can't evolve from 3D, or such an evolution would have no effect.
Keiji
Administrator

Postby holomanga » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Well, we would have twomore dimensions to move around in, even if they are negligable :mrgreen:
holomanga
Dionian

Return to General