Christian God, Impossible? FTW!

Discussions about the possibility of consciousness, free will, spirits, deities, religions and so on, and how these might interact with time travel, the Big Bang, many worlds and so on.

Are you Christian or Athiest?

Christian
28%
Athiest
50%
Agnostic
3%
Don't Care.
19%

Total votes : 32

Postby gerren » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:02 am

god is dead and no one cares. if there is a hell then ill see you there. christianity had the answers to ease my curiosity. a man dreamed up a god and called it christianity. Hes got the power to kill of all of the swine. here is a poem that i wrote...GOD IS DEAD

Half-Thoughts

They dreamed up a being who keeps our people in line,
With only a gesture that could kill off all the swine,
He is dead, and no one cares.

The dirt fills my mouth,
As I try to breath,
But all of this shit in my head goes round and round,
And all of the technicalities make me want to scream.

Pull the trigger,
Its no fucking use,
He’ll send you to hell anyways,
After all of that abuse.

Save Me! Save Me!
The incompetent crowd yells,
But who is your savior?
He’s going to send us all to hell.

Twisted are your thoughts of this,
As only my kind can tell,
Because we’re all idiots,
Sending ourselves to hell.

Where is this green pasture we all hope to see?
Nowhere.
Where is this being we all hope to feel, see, touch or hear?
Nowhere.

Devoid of passion,
Devoid of love,
Devoid of this green pasture,
Because no one exists above.
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 am

Ok, I have no idea what's going on. It would seem that Gerren has a mysterious emo hacker. Either that or he's converted from christianity to emoism.

Whoever wrote that poem has completely missed the point of atheism, even more than most christians do.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:12 am

I am so confused! Is gerren athiest or not athiest??
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:38 am

hahaha thats funny "emo"----no im not emo (emos r gay dorks who pretend 2 hav problems). and yes im atheist at the moment and could change at any moment haha im fickle. anyways, ya i know that my poem doesnt even get anywhere near an educated atheist's point of view, but it could work in some places (maybe Trent Reznor) and ya i wrote that :)
gerren
Trionian

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:10 am

Jeez, gerren; its good to be open-minded, but seriously... :)
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby gerren » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 am

ya i know, but the problem is that im always coming across new ideals, research, and philosophical elements that will either be for or against religion, so that is why i change about every 2 yrs to 2 months (like right now im researching prokaryotic cells, eukaryotic cells, plant cells, and the food chain to see if its works together so perfectly that there must have been a God (or not). So if that information contradicts my present ideals that i have, then i will probably become agnostic, then back to Christian or Atheist, depending on how the balance is tipped when i get new information and etc.
gerren
Trionian

Postby PWrong » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:28 pm

like right now im researching prokaryotic cells, eukaryotic cells, plant cells, and the food chain

Good on you. :D It's great that you're trying to find the answer through science. Too few people do that.

So if that information contradicts my present ideals that i have, then i will probably become agnostic, then back to Christian or Atheist, depending on how the balance is tipped when i get new information and etc.

If you know you're going to keep changing your mind like this, why don't you just stay agnostic while you're still studying biology? Also, Christian isn't the only choice if you believe in God. I think you'd make a great Deist (someone who believes there is a God, but doesn't follow any particular religion).
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby gerren » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:14 am

ahhh thats what its called! So for a long time I called myself agnostic because I knew there was a God but couldn't really make any more assumptions about it. So, yes, I would become agnostic, Deist, and then most likely Christian because I think that it has much more stories, morals and is much more planned out than other religions (besides the Abrahamic ones). Thanks, so ya Im going to begin researching that this weekend (and the trials will probably last for about 3 weeks). I call them trials because i feel like a jury weighing the evidence without bias and my decision can either go toward the defence or the prosecutors (which would be my choice of religion/believing in a God).
gerren
Trionian

Postby zero » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:33 am

bo198214 wrote:PS: The correct spelling is 'atheist'.

What? Really? And here I thought I was voting for being athier than thou!
zero
Trionian

Postby papernuke » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:30 am

nice reviving .. this thread has been dead for a year ..
"Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe."
-H.G. Wells
papernuke
Tetronian

Re: Christian God, Impossible? FTW!

Postby justin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:27 am

wow, i just came across this site yesterday and i've been looking around many of these threads and found a lot of the debates here interesting. however, the "God is Impossible" site referenced in the first post here is way off base and makes many claims that are just ... well, opinions. I don't know how often people read these threads anymore (i actually haven't read THROUGH this thread, just the first post) but if people here care to discuss, i'll probably be around here every so often to check and see what all is being brought up.
justin
Nullonian

Postby zero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:48 am

justin wrote:wow, i just came across this site yesterday and i've been looking around many of these threads and found a lot of the debates here interesting.

Indeed.

however, the "God is Impossible" site referenced in the first post here is way off base and makes many claims that are just ... well, opinions.

The person who posted it called them "half thoughts." I took it as a form of poetry.

papernuke was wrong about me reviving the thread so long ago. I just turned it into a zombie. A very lethargic zombie. With a dull sense of humor, no less -- or is that me? Oh, well. Personally, I prefer not to call something impossible unless I can prove it. For example, it's impossible to have the same locus of points describe BOTH a circle and a square if the metric is euclidean. And even the ancient Greeks could demonstrate that it's impossible for any integer which is a perfect square to be double another perfect square.

And what about twin primes? Could there be infinitely many of them? Or iis that impossible? No one really knows . . . well, not yet.
zero
Trionian

Postby anatomy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am

:D where does the word christian come from.Jesus was a Jew.
anatomy
Nullonian

Postby PWrong » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:10 am

Christ means Messiah or "the anointed one".
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:09 am

God is a concept by which we measure our pain.

In practice, God, and gods in general, are a creation of the people who worship them, their rise and fall is more linked to the devotions of their followers.

The old testament god was something they caught in the wild, carried around in a box (ark of the covenment) and kept in the back of the temple.

It's a result of the dispora that the god became something that sat in the clouds and watched over all things. We believe in god makes this this way, so that is what our god is.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby PWrong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 am

I measure pain in negative hedons.
PWrong
Pentonian

Postby wendy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 am

It's sad that people can try to claim proof by creating axioms and using logic. It might just prove that some of the axioms that appeal to common sense are wrong.
The dream you dream alone is only a dream
the dream we dream together is reality.

\ ( \(\LaTeX\ \) \ ) [no spaces] at https://greasyfork.org/en/users/188714-wendy-krieger
wendy
Pentonian

Postby anderscolingustafson » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:07 pm

I am personaly aithiest bacause I do not see that there is any proof of a divine creature I think if there were a divine creature he/she/it would have left a sign such as a mathmatic sign that he/she/it made everything and that our existence does not prove the existence of a god because we came from natural proceses that easily created life through replicating molecules and which occure all over the universe. Even our inteligence is just from natural proceses because it was the best way to addapt since it allowed us to addapt to just about anything. One more thing if there would have been a god he/she/it would have had to come from somewere and so trying to explain our existence through a god does not solve the mystery of how we came to be it just takes it somewere elch.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
anderscolingustafson
Tetronian

Previous

Return to Consciousness