Or what about this theory

Discussions about the possibility of consciousness, free will, spirits, deities, religions and so on, and how these might interact with time travel, the Big Bang, many worlds and so on.

Or what about this theory

Postby xhutchinson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:05 am

what if "tetraspace" exsists outside and between each of the 3 dimentions before it, and to "move" between plains would be by moving through tetraspace.......
xhutchinson
Mononian

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:14 am

I don't get it. Care to explain? A visual aid, perhaps?
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby xhutchinson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:55 am

What i ment was, it would seem easier and much faster to move from (point "A") to (Point "B") by going thru the hyperthetical "Tetraspace" as you would be able to go though any objects that would normally prevent you from moving in a straight line to your destination.

i am at work so i can't ftp up a image for an example, but i can when i get home, or i can email it to you if you like[/img]
xhutchinson
Mononian

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:49 am

This has been discussed many times. What do you mean by "outside"? It's just a perpendicular axis to walk on. You can still get from point A to point B on the Earth faster through 4d, regardless.

If we aren't talking about the Earth, and rather a flat plane, then it probably wouldn't.
I am the Nick formerly known as irockyou.
postcount++;
"All evidence of truth comes only from the senses" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nick
Tetronian

Postby moonlord » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:45 am

The conclusion we got to is that it depends on the shape of the universe. Consider a 2D universe. If it is a plane, then the shortest way is through itself. If it's a sphere or a torus or a klein bottle or something curved in general, then there is (edit, may be) a shorter way through the embedding space.
"God does not play dice." -- Albert Einstein, early 1900's.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:58 am

What about a hyperbolic space? Would such a space make it so that the shortest way was through itself, even if it was curved?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby moonlord » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:18 pm

I don't understand hyperbolic spaces so I was only reffering to those with positive curvature. Mea culpa for not mentioning it.
"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where we cannot see them." -- Stephen Hawking, late 1900's.
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Even with negative curvature (angles on triangle < 180 degrees), it's a shorter distance between two points if you go outside the space.

oh wait, that IS hyperbolic space. Guess I answered my own question then :oops:

Edit: Hmm, I can't see how 3D hyperbolic space would work. With 2D, a saddle-shape is used, with the x axis going up and the z axis going down. But you can only have up and down, so where would a third dimension go? I imagine it would have to be bounded in 5D rather than 4D, and the third dimension would bend in the fifth...
Keiji
Administrator

Postby moonlord » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:32 pm

Well, with certain deformations, one can represend H2 in E2. But I still fail to visualise hyperbolic spaces. I can't even figure out whether H1 exists, and if it does, what's its shape. Horocircle perhaps, but how does that look in euclidean?

For example, if the universe had the shape of S2, it can be embedded in E3 for visualisation purposes. However, even if the universe is 4D, some very complicated geometries exist. Not to mention the manifolds in these geometries...
moonlord
Tetronian

Postby Keiji » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm

What are Hn, En and Sn?
Keiji
Administrator

Postby thigle » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:37 pm

H for Hyperbolic (- curvature)
E for Euclidean (flat, 0 curvature)
S for Spherical (+ curvature)

n for number of dimensions.

so for ex. E2 is euclidean plane.